Major Fire averted at Buddy’s

0

The Guyana Fire Service (GFS) was this morning (Saturday, June 17, 2017) able to avert a fire at the Buddy’s building located at 137 Sheriff Street, Campbellville, Georgetown.

According to Fire Chief, Marlon Gentle, the fire service received three calls at about 10:35 am, via the emergency response line, 912 reporting smoke coming from the bottom flat of the building.

He noted that three teams were dispatched to the location.

Fire Chief, Marlon Gentle

 

“Campbellville was the first unit arriving, and they reported heavy smoke conditions on the southern side which is the Generator area. The fire was somewhere between the Generator and the building of itself, and the other units came on scene quickly, and they were able to surround the fire, tackle it and put it out,” the fire Chief related.

Generator area where the fire started

He noted that the team concludes the fire started as a result of an electrical malfunction of the Generator.

Ryan Shivraj, Managing Director of Buddy’s, confirmed in late 2016 that the Buddy’s Pool Hall and Night Club closed after business fell. The floors were then advertised for rent.

Gentle related that “a floor which we once known as a Pool Hall is now converted to a school and the bottom floor, there are some elevation works that seem to suggest some type of fast food operations that will be coming there.”

The School referred to is a Medical School, the Alexander American University School of Medicine, operated by Indian nationals.

The changes were done unknown to the fire service, and therefore meetings will be hosted with the proprietors to ensure that all safety measures are put in place in case of an emergency.

You might also like More from author

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.