News Room Guyana
Latest News from Guyana Live on E-Networks E1 7PM

Attorney General reviewing Parking Meter Project

0

Despite Government’s announcement that it is reviewing the parking meter contract signed by the Georgetown Mayor and City Council with Smart City Solutions Inc, a company collaborating with National Parking Systems (NPS) to install solar-powered parking meters in critical areas of Georgetown, the M&CC has moved ahead with the importation of the meters.

 

This has raised some concerns in relation to the seriousness of the review.

 

During a press conference today, Minister of State, Joseph Harmon was asked about the government’s position on the review of the parking meter project, given that by the looks of it, the M&CC is determined to forge ahead irrespective of the outcome.

 

The Minister disclosed that the contract was already reviewed by the Ministry of Finance and is with the Attorney General.

 

“The question as to whether there are matters which are taking place before that review takes place…whatever the Attorney General advises cabinet, Cabinet will take the necessary action in that regard. So whether they’re bringing in parking meter or not, that is the commitment which cabinet give” he told reporters.

 

The review is being done to ensure that the contract is void of illegalities, following concerns raised by sections of society, including some councillors at the M&CC.

 

He alluded to the president’s recent visit to City Hall where he informed the “mothers and fathers” of the city that they should ensure that the projects being carried out in the city are transparent.

 

The controversial parking meter project is expected to be implemented by September of this year.

 

Once the operation comes on stream, 20% of the proceeds will go to City Hall, while the remaining 80% will go to the investor, Smart City Solution.

 

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.