Seven homeless; others affected following ECD Fire


By Leroy Smith

An early morning fire on the East Coast Demerara suspected to be of electrical origin has left three children among seven homeless.


Persons who are now displaced by the fire which took place at Lot 34 South Railway Line Ogle said that it began sometime around 07hrs; however firefighters who responded to the scene and were still there when News Room visited said that the fire might have started earlier.


Owner of the property, 56-year-old Bartley Wilson related that “the fire started in the apartment with the tenant and the tenant come and call me when the tenant call me, I go up and I see the smoke coming out from she room and I had to run down back and duh was it. I don’t know how it start because it start from by them (the tenant).”


While the origin of the fire is suspected to be of electrical origin, Wilson added that “she (the tenant) seh she didn’t leff on nothing.”


He also stated that the house was not insured.


The news Room was pointed to the electrical connection from the Guyana Power and Light (GPL) Pole which might have been responsible for the blaze. It was noticed that there was one power line that powering two homes.


The occupants of the home reasoned that the appliances in the buildings might have caused an overload of the circuit triggering the fire. However, this needs to be confirmed by an investigation by the fire service.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.