15 homeless after fire completely destroys home at Rampur Village, Upper Corentyne


By Malisa Playter Harry



A fire of unknown origin completely destroyed a two storied wooden and concrete building at 114 Alexander Street, Rampur Village, Upper Corentyne, Berbice.


News Room visited the scene earlier today and spoke to the owner of the building Ms. Gloria Downer, a housewife who recounted what occurred yesterday Saturday, September 17, 2016.


According to Downer she was downstairs in the bottom flat, when one of her nephews, who also lives there, alerted her saying “aunt aunt house on fire”.



The distraught woman recounted that she ran upstairs and saw the entire upper flat in flames. She quickly exited the house along with the children and ran over to the neighbour’s house, who then assisted in taming the inferno.


According to the devastated Downer, the Fire Service responded swiftly but was unsuccessful in containing the fire. The woman who takes care of abandoned children informed News Room that seven children and eight adults lived in the home.


Downer said she has nowhere to go and is clueless how to move on from this point. The fire started at approximately 16:30 hrs yesterday. An estimated $8 Million went up in flames.


Downer said she has been living there for the past 40 years. Persons desirous of assisting the family can contact Amanda on telephone numb

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.