News Room Guyana
Latest News from Guyana Live on E-Networks E1 7PM

Former Army head to investigate latest mining pit accident

0

By Leroy Smith

Former head of the Guyana Defence Force, Rear Admiral Gary Bess who is the Presidential Advisor on the Environment was appointed to investigate the circumstances surrounding the  latest mining pit accident, that claimed the life of a 33-year-old father of two from Anns Grove, E.C.D.

 

This is according to Minister of Natural Resources, Raphael Trotman during a press conference earlier today.

 

Dead; Keon Wilson
Dead; Keon Wilson

 

Keon Wilson was killed on Saturday, October 08, 2016  after a mining pit in which he was working at Rock Creek, Puruni, Region Seven caved in.

 

Minister Trotman who also spoke on the general mining conditions in the interior said his team has been uncovering instances of persons returning to decommissioned mining lands to work; an act which he says is improper.

 

During an interview with the News Room earlier this week, the sister of the dead man said that they encouraged him to leave the mining area after another relative who was also working at the same location decided to leave the job because of poor working conditions.

 

The investigation which is to be headed by the former army head will be tasked with finding out whether there was a breach of the mining regulations at the mining pit which led to the man’s death and if any charges are to be laid against anyone.

 

(Minister of Natural Resources, Raphael Trotman during today’s press conference)

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.