UPDATED; Dataram, reputed wife handed over to local authorities


Acting Commissioner of the Guyana Police Force has acknowledged the “excellent collaboration” between local law enforcement units and counterparts in Suriname following the arrest and handing over of Barry Dataram.


Dataram who was arrested along with his reputed wife, Anjanie Boodnarine in the former Dutch colony on Friday afternoon, was this morning handed over to local authorities at Moleson Creek, Corentyne, the police said.


“That which occurred between 13:00h. yesterday and 09:00h. this morning represented the best efforts and sends a clear message that with the use of science and technology in law enforcement and personnel who are consummate professionals, the public interest is well served” the GPF said in a statement.


On the law enforcement front, the force says it sincerely thanks its colleagues in Suriname.


It was found that Dataram left Guyana with a Guyanese passport bearing the name “David Persaud” with a picture of himself while Boodnarine used a passport bearing the name “Christine Persaud.” While Dataram’s passport was issued in 2013, Boodnarine’s passport was only issued 0n January 15, 2016.


On October 04, a wanted bulletin was issued for self-confessed drug lord, Barry Dataram and his reputed wife, Anjanie Boodnarine.



It became public one week prior, that the duo had escaped Guyana ahead of their Tuesday, September 27, 2016, trial for the possession of cocaine for the purpose of trafficking which occurred on April 16, 2015, at Lot 661 Block X, 4th Avenue, Diamond Housing Scheme, East Bank Demerara.


Dataram were to appear in Court with his reputed wife, Boodnarine and their friends, Trevor Gouveia and Komal Charran, however, only Gouveia and Chandan showed up to hear the ruling by Magistrate Judy Latchman. Magistrate Latchman noted that a prima facie case had not been made out against Boodnarine, Gouveia and Charran and the latter three were therefore found not guilty of the crime.


Dataram, on the other hand, was charged in absentia with the crime. He was fined $164,268,000 and sentenced to 60 months’ imprisonment.


(Photo Caption; Royston Drakes)

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.