News Room Guyana
Latest News from Guyana Live on E-Networks E1 7PM

Conor McGregor granted boxing licence in California as Floyd Mayweather speculation rages on

0

UFC star Conor McGregor has obtained a license to professionally box in the state of California.

McGregor’s agent Audie Attar informed ESPN.com of the development on Wednesday. California State Athletic Commission executive director Andy Fosteralso confirmed the licensure.

The Irish fighter is still under contract with the UFC, which creates a wrinkle in any boxing match he may pursue. However, the news will only add to speculation of a boxing match between McGregor and retired pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather.

McGregor has already expressed interest in that fight and even demanded $100 million for it. According to Foster, the CSAC is committed to approving “appropriately matched-up opponents.”

According to UFC president Dana White, McGregor has said he would never fight in Las Vegas again after being docked $150,000 by the Nevada State Athletic Commission in October. The fine was levied over his actions during a prefight news conference with Nate Diaz ahead of UFC 202 in which they threw water bottles and cans of energy drink at each other.15203147_1589362541082582_1512520983853548929_n

McGregor (21-3) holds the UFC’s lightweight belt and sits at the top of the sport. He made history at UFC 205 on Nov. 12 by becoming the first to ever hold two UFC titles at the same time.

The Dublin native was the featherweight champion when he knocked out Eddie Alvarez for the lightweight title at UFC 205. Last weekend, the UFC announced McGregor had relinquished the 145-pound featherweight title to focus on the lightweight division.

McGregor, however, has not publicly commented on vacating the belt before UFC 205, he said it would take “an army” to separate him from one of his titles.

After defeating Alvarez, McGregor revealed he is expecting the birth of his first child in early 2017. UFC president Dana White has since stated McGregor won’t fight until May.

During the UFC 205 postfight press conference, McGregor also stated he expected a meeting with the UFC’s new ownership, WME-IMG. The entertainment agency purchased the UFC earlier this year for $4 billion and have sold minority shares to some of its Hollywood clients.

“No one has come talked to me since the sale, as a businessman,” McGregor said. “Who owns the company now? There’s people who have shares in the company, celebrities — Conan O’Brien owns the UFC these days. Where’s my share?

“They’ve got to come talk to me now, that’s all I know. Both belts, chunk of money, little family on the way — you want me to stick around and keep doing what I’m doing? Let’s talk. I want ownership now. I want the equal share. I want what I deserve, what I’ve earned.”

In addition to boxing, McGregor might have a potentially lucrative opportunity in professional wrestling. WWE executive vice president of talent Triple H told the Daily Telegraph this month, “Conor could do (WWE) for sure.”

Attar, addressed the possibility on ESPN’s 5ive Rounds podcast last week.

“If [WWE] is going to come with an offer, we will entertain it,” Attar said. “We are here.”

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.