UPDATE; Minibus’s attempt to make U-turn caused three-vehicular accident
Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding a three-vehicular accident on the Fellowship Public Road, East Coast Demerara (E.C.D) which occurred about 10:30 hrs. on Wednesday.
As a result of the accident, one person; Esmai Rockliffe, 61 yrs., of Le Enterprise, Mahaicony, E.C.D lost her life while eight others were hospitalised inclusive of four foreign and two Guyanese University of Guyana students and a driver of one of the vehicles.
Enquiries disclosed that Mini Bus #BPP2127 was proceeding east along the northern side of the road, with motor car #HC7188 following in the rear, when Mini Bus BJJ 3844 which was proceeding in the opposite direction suddenly made a U-turn causing Mini Bus #BPP2127 to collide with the right center of BJJ3844 and HC7188 collided with the rear of BPP2127.
As the result of the collision the following persons received injuries and were rushed to the Mahaicony Cottage Hospital.
1) Walter Haywood, 69 years old, of Water Loo St., G/T (driver of BPP2127)
2) Yenver Caezar, 23 yrs., of St. Lucia (U.G Student)
3) Makeshi Peters of Trinidad and Tobago (U.G Student)
4) Michael Rajnauth, 21 yrs., of Trinidad and Tobago (U.G Student)
5) Trecia Williams, 21 yrs., of Blankenburg W.C.D (U.G Student)
6) Chritstine Basil, 24yrs, of Anira St., Queenstown G/T (U.G Student)
7) Makini Barrow, 28yrs of St. Vincent and the Grenadines (U.G Student)
8) Gavin Roberts, 42yrs, of Recess, Mahaicony and
9) Esmai Rockliffe who died about 15:00 hrs. at the G.P.H.C.
Gavin Roberts and Esmai Rockliffe were occupants of Mini Bus #BJJ3844, driven by Kamar Rahim, 29 yrs. of Novar, Mahaicony who along with the driver of HC7188 Parmarshur Raikha only received minor injuries.
All the other injured persons were occupants of Mini Bus #BPP2127, who were said to be on their way to the Tain Campus on an exchange programme.
Later, Trecia Williams, Christine Basil, Makini Barrow and Gavin Roberts were transferred to the G.P.H.C.
The drivers of BJJ 3844 and HC7188 are in custody.
They along with the driver of BPP2127 who is hospitalised were tested and no trace of blood alcohol was recorded.