“Watchman” found with stab wounds at quarry up Corentyne River


By Royan Abrams

A Corentyne man is in police custody assisting with investigations into a stabbing incident that took place on Tuesday, January 10, 2016 at Pigeon Island, along the Corentyne River.

The injured man has been identified as 62 year old Vickran James of Lot 102 Rampoor, Corriverton, Berbice.

Although the details surrounding the incident are still sketchy, News Room understands that James was hired by a saw mill operator whose name was given as Francis to work as a “watchman” on his quarry which is located several miles up the Corentyne River and was dispatched to the location two weeks ago.

However on Tuesday (January 11, 2017), the businessman sent in another “watchman” into the location to relieve James but instead he found James laying on the ground with a stab wound to his neck and blood stains about his body. He immediately informed the businessman who reported the matter to the Springlands Police Station at about 22:00 hours on Tuesday night.

Because of the distance, ranks could not travel to the location on Tuesday but instead travelled up the Corentyne River on Wednesday morning to conduct investigations and bring the victim to seek medical attention.

James nephew, Rajendra Rooplall told the News Room that he was visited by a police officer on Wednesday afternoon and was informed that his uncle was at the Skeldon Public Hospital. He recalled that when he arrived there he saw his uncle laying helplessly on a stretcher and was being placed in an ambulance and being transferred to the New Amsterdam Public Hospital.

Rooplall who is annoyed in the manner in which the incident is being dealt with by the police and the businessman said he wants the police to conduct a thorough investigation into the incident as the a businessman who his uncle works with, has since been providing conflicting information surrounding what took place at Pigeon Island.

He told the News Room that his uncle’s throat was slit and that doctors informed him that they are surprised that his uncle come out alive.

When contacted the commander of ‘B’ Division, Ian Amsterdam confirmed that one person has since been arrested and that the police are still conducting investigations.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.