“Watchman” succumbs to stab wounds


By Royan Abrams

The Police in ‘B’ Division are making arrangements to have a team of officers travel up the Corentyne River to conduct a thorough investigation into what transpired and caused the death of a “watchman”. The man was found with his throat slit, allegedly with his own knife, on Tuesday, January 10, 2017, and succumbed on Friday at the GPHC.

Dead is 62-year-old Vickran James of Lot 102 Rampoor, Corriverton, Berbice, who has been working for almost seven months now as a “watchman” for businessman, Vishawn Persaud Baichan also known as ‘Francis’ of Kingston, Corriverton, Berbice who owns a mining concession at Pigeon Island along the Corentyne River where James was dispatched to conduct duties almost three weeks ago.

News Room understands that James was found lying motionless on Tuesday, January 10, 2017, in the kitchen area of a camp at Pigeon Island with a deep wound to the front of his neck. He was transported by sea the following day and was rushed to the Skeldon Public Hospital but had to be transferred to the New Amsterdam Hospital and later to the Georgetown Public Hospital where he died as a result of his injuries.

So far a Corentyne man has been arrested and is in police custody assisting with investigations into the incident.

Although the details surrounding the incident are still sketchy, News Room was told thatJames was hired by the businessman to work as a “watchman” on his quarry which is located several miles up the Corentyne River and was dispatched to the location several weeks ago.

However, on Tuesday last, the businessman sent in another “watchman” into the location to relieve James but instead he found him lying on the ground with a stab wound to his neck and blood stains about his body. He immediately informed the businessman who reported the matter to the Springlands Police Station at about 22:00 hours the said night.

Because of the location, ranks could not have travelled at the same time but instead travelled up the Corentyne River the following morning to conduct investigations and bring the victim to seek medical attention.

James’ nephew, Rajendra Rooplall told the News Room that he was visited by a police officer on Wednesday last and was informed that his uncle was at the Skeldon Public Hospital. He recalled that when he arrived there he saw his uncle lying helpless on a stretcher and was being placed in an ambulance and being transferred to the New Amsterdam Public Hospital.

Rooplall said he is annoyed with the manner in which the incident is being dealt with, noting that he wants the police to conduct a thorough investigation into the incident as a businessman who his uncle works with has since been providing conflicting information surrounding what took place at Pigeon Island.

At one point the family were told that James was attacked by bandits at the location but the businessman has since changed the story and now claiming that James was attacked by bees and at the time he had a knife on his possession which he was using to chase the bees but the weapon somehow slipped out his hand and cut his throat.

Investigations are ongoing.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.