Grove Hi-Tech upset defending champs in Limacol football


By Treiston Joseph

Grove Hi-Tech made a loud statement on Wednesday evening with an upset 1-nil win over defending champs Milerock at the Georgetown Football Club ground, Bourda.

Linden-based Milerock got stunned and what better way to shock the defending champs than with a goal on the stroke 90 minutes. After a blatant no-call in the 18-yard box, Domini Garnett got to the loose ball and fired in a low shot to the left of Milerock’s custodian.

The goal was definitely a game sealer at that point in time as both teams had struggles navigating the heavy winds and unlevel surface of the Georgetown Football Club ground. Both teams missed a number of opportunities at goal, but Grove Hi-Tech was able to capitalise and gain a meaningful three points.

After the game Grove’s Assistant Coach, Alex Sinclair, noted that the win was a morale booster. “Coming off a lost we wanted to come out and get some momentum and my players came out with energy and that helped us got the win in a must-win game. I think it will boost everybody and we will come out better in the next game.”

Head Coach of Milerock, Kerron Munroe, is of the belief that the loss will not affect his team’s title defence, but he spoke on areas the squad needs to improve on in order to win.

“It was a tough loss, but we will just a few infringements I think we didn’t get in the game but we have areas to work on… I don’t think it will affect us; every team goes through this so we will be okay,” Munroe noted. Meanwhile, Western Tigers FC pulled off their second victory of the tournament with a 1-nil win against Eagles United.

In total contrast to the late goal of the earlier game, new signees Andrew Murray Jr and Devon Millington paid immediate dividends when Murray Jr struck a sweet header into the back of the net off a well-placed Millington free kick in the fourth minute of the match.

The win for Western Tigers has made them to the only unbeaten team so far in the competition, having won both their games. The tournament will continue on Sunday (February 5) with two matches at Victoria Community Centre ground.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.