MILO FOOTBALL: Masters Academy trounce St Rose’s 8-1


By Treiston Joseph

After opening with a big 3-1 win against Bishops’ High two weeks ago, Masters Academy showed that they are no pushovers with a massive win against St Rose’s High on Saturday when the tournament continued at the Ministry of Education ground.

The massacre of the St Rose’s defence started in the 11th minute when Calvin Peters struck the back of the net with a solid shot and although it would like an even game after Joel Morrison’s equaliser in the 22nd minute of the match, what unfolded after was nothing short of dominance. Despite the wet conditions, somehow Masters Academy’s players were able to defeat St Rose’s High 8-1 in the group match.

Derwyn George was the first to break 1-1 deadlock with a goal in the 28th minute, while Andel Smith would add to lead in the 37th minute. Peters then notched a double just before halftime with a goal in the 44th minute of the match.

The second half resumed and it was all Masters Academy, who are making their first appearance in the tournament. Randy Smart scored the first goal of the second half in the 51st minute, followed by Kareem Caines in the 59th minute.

Peters then notched a hat-trick with an easy tap-in in the 62nd minute, while Smith added insult to injury with a goal in the 64th minute for his second of the match. Meanwhile, in a much more subdued contest, Bishops’ High came back from a 1-nil first-half deficit to top Ann’s Grove Secondary 2-1.

Shemar McPherson scored the opening goal of the match for Ann’s Grove in the 12th minute of the match, but heavy rain would hamper the progress of both teams with the first half ending 1-nil.

The second half which was played in tough waterlogged condition, saw a number of mishaps on both sides of the field. However, it was Bishops’ who held their composer for the much needed win after their opening loss to Masters Academy. Tyrone Singh scored for Bishops’ in the 54th and Tyrese Souvenir scored the winner in the 60th minute. In the final game of the tournament, debutant Buxton Youth Developers announced themselves with a massive 5-nil hammering of North Ruimveldt. 

Kifumbo Goodman scored a double for the East Coast based side in the 15th and 19th minutes of the match. Teffrel Campbell scored in the 16th minute and Shamar Beckles will have the privilege of scoring the team’s first goal every in Milo Football history. 

The other goal came in the form of an own goal in the 61st minute of the match. Matches in the tournament will be played every weekend from 11:00h at the Ministry of Education ground, Carifesta Avenue.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.