Residents save elderly couple’s home from destruction


By Leroy Smith
An elderly couple of Logwood Enmore, East Coast Demerara, had their home saved from a fiery destruction last night (Tuesday, April 11, 2017), after an unattended pile of garbage which was earlier in the night lit, reignited and destroyed a fowl pen.

The News Room was told that the couple who lived there, Gaitree and “Son Son” (only names given) were inside of their home when someone observed fire coming from their backyard.

An alarm was raised, and persons in the community quickly formed a bucket brigade and put out the fire before it could have caught onto the wooden house of the pensioners.

During the process, one man whose name was given as Ramsingh broke the front door to the couple’s home and lifted “Son Son” to safety as he is not in the best of health.

By the time the Fire Service arrived at the location, the fire was already under control.

Fire detectives, however, took statements from the elderly woman who was earlier in the day cleaning the yard and who decided to burn some stuff aback of the house.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.