(Trinidad Guardian- June, 10, 2017) There are 15,042 people in T&T illegally—the majority of them being 1,015 Venezuelans, acting National Security Minister Dennis Moses confirmed yesterday.
He gave the figure in Parliament while replying to Opposition queries.
Moses said T&T had granted permanent residency to some 30,200 people up to May 2017.
However, between January 1 and May 1, 2017, he added there were 15,042 illegals. This comprised 1,015 Venezuelans, 326 Colombians, 217 from the Dominican Republic, 183 Chinese, 65 Guyanese, 39 Nigerians and 20 Jamaicans.
Moses also said heads of security have said no problem exists regarding the return of DNA results by foreign labs.
A newspaper had reported several probes were “hampered by delays” with this.
On another report, Finance Minister Colm Imbert said he’s asked the National Lotteries Control Board (NLCB) for a report on claims that over $100,000 was paid last year for security “sweeps” and personnel for the NLCB chairman after he got death threats.
Imbert said he found it to be a matter of concern.
Tourism Minister Shamfa Cudjoe said she didn’t have figures to say how much revenue the Tobago Jazz Experience yielded from its $12 million budget.
She said it attracted mostly domestic tourism, with a total of 20,867 arrivals to Tobago.