Police trounce GFC 4-0 to lift Corona Invitational football title


By Treiston Joseph  

Police FC stamped their authority on Georgetown Football Club (GFC) with a massive 4-0 win on Sunday evening at the GFC ground to lift the Corona Invitational Football title.

Police were in a class by themselves, showcasing that there is no better teacher than experience as they toppled the youth of GFC by pressuring their loose defence from the start of the game to eventually win the one million dollar top prize.

Clad in red, Police found gaps in the middle of the field and easily advanced into the final third of GFC’s defence with the first shot of the game scorching the net from a right footed effort from captain Dwain Jacobs in the eighth minute.

While GFC tried to attack, their play from the wing positions were poor while their attacks up the middle of the field were continuously gutted by the compact defence of Police.

Part of the action in the final

Jacobs again found his way into the 18-yard box of GFC’s defence and easily slotted in another goal in the 42nd minute of the match, much to the jubilation of the huge Police fan support in attendance.

Just minutes later, Jacobs from about 35 yards out hit a powerful right footer that rocked the right bottom of the net in the 45th minute for his hat-trick to basically signal the end of the match just before the halftime whistle.

On resumption, Police’s Kester Dondus quickly quelled whatever hopes of a comeback GFC had thoughts of with a sweet touch that troubled the net in the 48th minute. Jacobs noted that the team played well mentioning that their “conversion” rate was excellent in the match.

Coach of Police, Dwayne Bobb, noted that the strategy going into the match was to pressure the young defence of GFC to try and get them off their game and was pleased with the way in which his squad executed their plans.

GFC, playing their first final in over a decade, received $400,000 for their second place effort. Meanwhile, Western Tigers topped Northern Rangers 2-0 for the third position in the tournament and the $200,000 prize.

Western Tigers took some time to find rhythm and scored in the 35th minute through a goal from Darren Benjamin, while Jamal Pedro scored in the 90th+1 minute to seal the deal. Northern Rangers received $100,000 for their fourth place finish in the tournament.

Co-Director of the Petra Organisation, Troy Mendonca, said he was pleased with how the tournament panned out.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.