Corentyne business goes up in flames, fire service arrives without water

0

By Royan Abrams

A Corentyne businessman is counting his losses after his place of business went up in flames on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 at Corriverton, Corentyne Coast.

Owner of the boutique, Rajeshwar Ramdass

News Room understands that the fire started at about 04:00hrs after a wire sparked on a lamp pole during heavy rainfall.

Owner of the boutique, Rajeshwar Ramdass, who lives several villages away, said he was at home when he received a telephone call informing him that his business place was on fire. He said he immediately rushed to the location and contacted the Guyana Fire Service.

He informed the News Room that upon arrival at the scene, he was told there was “low voltage” in the area and moments after, smoke emanated from his property.

What is left of the business place

The News Room was told that the Guyana Fire Service arrived at the location almost an hour after and without any water to battle the blaze which engulfed the entire three bedrooms two-storey building.

An eyewitness, who prefers to remain anonymous, criticized the fire department as he pointed out that this is the second fire in which firefighters turned up without any water.

The eyewitness said that several calls to the fire service in Corriverton went unanswered and that a man in the area had to use a pedal cycle to visit the fire service to inform officers there about the fire.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.