Guyanese man killed after hit-and-run driver rams into crowd in NY


[NY Post] – A fight over a parking space led to bloodshed in Queens early Sunday when an enraged driver stabbed two men and plowed his car into a half-dozen good Samaritans who intervened, killing one, cops said. Police took a Queens man into custody for the rampage after he went to the same hospital as one of the victims and the injured man pointed him out to police, officials said.

Adrian Harry, 22, was being held at the 106th Precinct station house in Ozone Park, where early Monday he was charged with murder, assault and reckless endangerment.

The fracas started at around 4:30 a.m. on Liberty Avenue near 127th Street in Richmond Hill, when Harry allegedly dinged a parked BMW while trying to parallel park his white Hyundai Sonata, police said.

Robert Stridiron

“This parking dispute escalated, which resulted in the death of an individual and serious physical injuries to several others,” NYPD Deputy Chief David Barrere said at a Sunday-morning press conference at the scene.

Two men were in the BMW — a 28-year-old man celebrating his birthday and his 29-year-old best friend, a pal told The Post, asking that her name be withheld.

The two men confronted the Sonata driver, who flew into a rage and stabbed the men in the torso with a blade, cops said.

A group of people outside a nearby hookah lounge intervened, but the attacker ducked back into his Sonata, officials said.

The scene of a fatal hit-and-run in Queens

Seconds later, surveillance video shows, he was zooming east on Liberty Avenue after the good Samaritans. A block later, at 128th Street, Harry, allegedly mounted the sidewalk, ramming into six people — including one of the stabbed men — before speeding off, Barrere said.

A neighbor recalled hearing the tumult before looking out her window to see the carnage.

“I hear the kids running on the sidewalk — their shoes pounding on the sidewalk like they’re racing — and then I hear the car hitting the people — thump, thump,” said Mariam Severno, 53, whose second-floor apartment overlooks the scene.

“One woman was running for her life, and she got away. The rest were laying around.”

Some of the victims’ friends pursued the man in a Nissan Rogue, mounting the sidewalk themselves, police said.

That SUV was impounded, but those who were inside it during the chase had not been charged with a crime, police said. The Sonata driver got away and walked into Jamaica Hospital about 15 minutes later, at 4:45 a.m., complaining that he had been cut on the hand in a fight.

But cops took him into custody after a person who was struck in the attack and was being treated at the hospital, fingered him.

The man injured a total of seven people — stabbing two and hitting six with his car, including one man he had already stabbed, according to Barrere.

One struck victim died at the scene, where his worried parents found him later that morning.

“Oh, my God. That’s my son,” Sundar Chatergoon gasped as he and his wife spied Richardo Chatergoon, 22, laying lifeless on the sidewalk with a sheet over him.

“That’s his green sweater. Those are his black sneakers. Oh, my God. That’s him.”

The tearful father said his son had come to the United States from Guyana about 18 months ago and lived in Far Rockaway with his family.

One of the men who was stabbed and run over was in critical condition with severe head injuries, according to Barrere. His pal went to the hospital with knife wounds.


The others hospitalized include a 29-year-old man with a head injury, a 27-year-old with a hurt leg, a 29-year-old man with a broken pelvis and a 20-year-old woman who suffered a broken leg.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.