Berbice detectives hunting suspects in horrific pirate attack
Detectives in Berbice are hunting suspects in the horrific pirate attack in Suriname waters which has left 16 Guyanese fishermen missing, David Ramnarine, the country’s Police Commissioner (ag) has told the News Room.
The Suriname Police and Army are currently engaged in a desperate search for the men. Suriname reporter, Ivan Cairo told the News Room that up to news time one body had been recovered.
Cairo, speaking from the Surinamese capital, said that four of the men who managed to survive the attack and swam to shore reported the matter to Surinamese authorities who began the search.
“We are in contact with our Surinamese counterparts at the highest level and we have very detailed, useful information,” the Police Commissioner told the News Room.
“We are deeply disturbed and I can assure you we are on the ball and doing all we can to get to the bottom of this tragedy,” Ramnarine stated.
News Room understands that pirates, believed to be Guyanese, attacked and robbed four fishing boats in Suriname over the weekend. The boats had a combined crew of 20 men and threw them overboard, including four Surinamese.
A relative, who spoke with News Room late Monday night, explained that most of the men missing are Guyanese who lived and worked in Suriname for the past 15 years.
The main opposition People’s Progressive Party (PPP) Wednesday afternoon said it remains gravely concerned about the matter.
“This is a tragedy and we empathize with the families, who continue to be in anguish given the state of affairs.
“The horror that reportedly unfolded once again highlights the danger that our country’s fisherfolk face every day to earn their livelihoods and to provide for their families,” the PPP stated.
The PPP has called on the Government to make every effort and take urgent steps to ensure that fishermen are found.
“We hope for a swift resolution of the situation and that the families can be comforted during their time of distress,” the party stated.