The Region One administration has reported an influx of persons from Venezuela, from the Warrau tribe into the Barima/Waini Region.
In a post on his Facebook page, Regional Chair, Brentnol Ashley is appealing for donations in the form of clothing, food items, water, mattresses or cots.
The situation he said is being addressed by the Region’s Disaster Risk Management Committee which was established last year.
In photos shared by the Chair, a majority of the persons seen are children.
All donations can be made to the Office of the Regional Democratic Council (RDC) – Mabaruma Compound. For more information, contact 777- 5029.
The Chairman did not state whether the persons are Venezuelan nationals returning Guyanese.
On Thursday last, the Government through its Minister of State, Joseph Harmon announced that it is stepping up efforts to monitor and control the influx of Venezuelan migrants and returning Guyanese fleeing the economic and political crisis in that country.
Harmon announced that a Government team will visit the town of Puerto Ordaz in the state of Bolivar in Venezuela from July 12-16, 2018 to enable the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Citizenship to plan a more effective response to the situation.
He said there are an estimated 20, 000 Guyanese in Puerto Ordaz and the visit could determine to provide “a better facility” for Consular Services there.
There are several groups of Venezuelans and returning Guyanese who are spread across the Regions One, Seven, Eight and Nine.
In Region Seven, News Room previously reported about the plight of a family of over 100 persons who claimed that they are Guyanese but would have settled in Venezuela for some time, only to come home and find their homes destroyed by miners. Some of the persons, including women and children, are currently occupying tents along the Ekereku River in the Cuyuni/Mazaruni region in Guyana.
It was reported that there are a number of persons awaiting the required land to also join their family, however, the Ministry of Indigenous People’s Affairs is required to compile a report and submit same to Cabinet which will determine the way forward.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs had released a statement claiming that the persons have no documentation to show that they are Guyanese. Subject Minister and Vice President, Carl Greenidge had noted that those persons will not be given any special treatment from other re-migrants.