PROTECT YOURSELF: ATM SAFETY
As part of its Crime Prevention Strategy the Guyana Police Force has issued Crime Prevention tips for the public.
The tips come with this warning from the Police: “Crime can happen anywhere. Protect yourself, others and property by staying alert, safety conscious and informed. Trust your instincts, if something doesn’t feel right, it probably isn’t.”
- Try to plan ATM visits during the day, rather than after dark.
- Choose an ATM location that is in a busy, public place.
- Be ready with your card handy but not in plain view.
- Go with a friend, especially if you must use an ATM at night.
- Stand directly in front of the machine to conceal your personal PIN number.
- Cancel you transaction and walk away if anything seems suspicious.
- Pocket your money immediately. You can count it later.
- Immediately report lost or stolen ATM cards.