PSC, Entertainment official urge Gov’t to rethink position on “beach party ban”

0

Government’s decision to ban the hosting of parties on the foreshore behind the Guyana Marriott Hotel in Kingston, Georgetown has been met with calls from the Private Sector Commission (PSC) and local promoters to reconsider its position.

Private sector and entertainment industry officials are not lobbying for a reversal of the ban but are instead calling on the Government to be flexible in allowing parties to still continue but with prescribed guidelines for doing so.

Beach parties behind the Marriott Hotel had become a popular feature for the entertainment industry over the last year and party goers have also taken to social media to debate the Government’s move to block the hosting of parties there.

Chairman of the PSC, Desmond Sears in his initial reaction to the announcement, told News Room that the issue is one that is premised on noise nuisance.

He said the right of one group of persons to fete should not infringe on another person’s right for rest and relation.

In this regard, his call is for a balance to the proposed ban. He said a balance would still see the ban remaining in effect but by no means should that ban result in a blackout in hosting events on the beachfront.

Chairman of the PSC, Desmond Sears

He said permission could be granted for parties to go on during a prescribed period and with the sound to be kept at acceptable levels.

Like Sears, at least one local promoter who was integrally involved in the hosting of parties there has expressed similar sentiments.

Kerwin Bollers, a Director at Hits and Jams Entertainment, said as a promoter he is ready to look on both sides of the fence and compromise but in the same breath, he called on the Government and the management of the Marriott and Pegasus Hotels to do the same.

The two hotels are located in close proximity to the area now subject of the ban and have repeatedly made it public of guests complaining about the sounds keeping them up at nights.

Bollers said consultations may be useful in this instance where all interested parties can come together and discuss the concerns amicably.

He was keen to point out the contributions of entertainment to the economy and more specifically tourism.

Bollers said that there should be flexibility to allow the hosting of day parties at the minimum.

LAWSUIT FILED

Meanwhile, Minister of Public Infrastructure, David Patterson, from whose ministry ban was announced, told the media on Monday that the decision was as a result of the lawsuit filed by the Marriott Hotel.

Hotel staff have told the News Room that the sounds from parties have severely affected their guests with the hotel having to pay guests compensation for the inconvenience.

Interestingly, the Marriott has on previous occasions rented its parking lot for the hosting of similar parties earlier this year during the Guyana Carnival season.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.