Mother seeking answers following death of only child


By Bibi Khatoon

A mother is seeking answers after her only child was reportedly beaten and left to die on the Diamond Public Road, East Bank Demerara last weekend.

Forty-six-year-old Nezaam Khan was found lying motionless in a pool of blood on the parapet of the Republic Bank, East Bank Demerara branch just after midnight in the wee hours of Saturday last.

“I don’t know how the two of us alone [me and my husband] will stay here,” Khan’s mother, Martha Persaud told the News Room at her Diamond, East Bank Demerara home on Thursday.

Khan was employed as an Engineer with the Ministry of Education and resided with his mother and father.

According to the woman, she last saw her son at about 14:00hrs on Friday, November 30, when he left to pay bills.

“He was going to pay light bill and do some other errands and normally on Fridays, as usual, they would hang out with friends,” Mrs Persaud said.

At about 20:00hrs on Friday, the woman said she called Khan and was told that he was having a beer with some friends and will return home at about 22:00hrs.

However, he did not return home. After waiting until 03:00hrs on Saturday, Mrs Persaud said she called a friend who went in search of Khan but came up empty-handed.

Dead: Nezaam Khan

Mrs Persaud contacted the Grove Police Station, the Georgetown Public Hospital and the Guyana Police Force’s Headquarters to inquire whether Khan was involved in an accident.

The woman subsequently learned that her only son was found lying face down in a pool of blood in front of the Republic Bank, East Bank Demerara branch with a laceration to the right side of the neck and head.

Upon her arrival at the hospital, Mrs Persaud was asked to sign some documents for her son to undergo a CT scan but during that process, she learnt that Khan succumbed.

A post-mortem conducted on Wednesday found that he died from a brain haemorrhage.

Efforts to solicit information from the man’s friends he was hanging out with about what occurred have proven to be futile.

“The people say (Khan) took a Grove bus to come home and it was after 10 O’ Clock (22:00hrs) and he can’t recall if my son exit the bus or not,” Mrs Persaud related.

She, however, found it strange that Khan would join a bus which plies the Grove route when he usually takes a taxi to get home.

Additionally, the family was told that Khan’s personal items were found with him on the night he was found but the items could not be located at the hospital or with the police.

The family is preparing for a funeral service on Saturday.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.