UG bomb suspect remanded to prison


University of Guyana (UG) student Sheneza Jafferally was remanded to prison on Monday by Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan after she was charged with the misuse of a telecommunication device.

Jafferally known as Diane, 25, of Cummings Lodge, East Coast Demerara, pleaded not guilty to the charge, which alleged that on February 5, 2019, at Cummings Lodge, she used a public telecommunication device system to cause needless anxiety to the staff and students of the UG, knowing it was false.

Jafferally was represented by Attorney-at-law, Latchmi Rahamat, who told the court that her client is employed as a Sales Representative at Yellow Guyana Inc.

Rahamat told the court that her client was kept beyond the 72 hours holding period and vehemently denied the allegations while in custody.

The lawyer said that the young lady’s cell phone and all her electronic devices were seized by the Police upon her arrest.

“There is no evidence that shows that my client made any threats to the University of Guyana,” Rahamat told the court.

Police Prosecutor Gordon Mansfield objected to bail; he cited the seriousness of the offence and noted that the accused intended to spread public terror.

Mansfield explained that another allegation, similar in nature, is still being investigated against Jafferally.

The Magistrate remanded Jafferally to prison on the grounds of public safety. The matter is adjourned until February 18, 2019.

She was charged under the Telecommunications Act of Guyana and could face a fine and a jail term if found guilty.   

Chapter 71. (1) of the 2016 Telecommunications Act of Guyana states that “A person who, by means of a telecommunications network or a telecommunications service, willfully circulates or otherwise transmits any telecommunication that is false, deceptive or misleading, or that materially endangers the physical safety of any other person, shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine of not less than two hundred fifty thousand dollars nor more than two million dollars and to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months.”

Jafferally has been in the custody of the Police since Thursday last following an anonymous phone call to the Alberttown Police Station that bombs were planted on the University campus on Tuesday, February 5.

A statement released by the Jafferally family Friday night noted that the young lady vehemently denies making the threats.

The family believes that there are ulterior motives afoot following her arrest.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.