Incubator lamp explodes with premature baby inside, GPHC says not responsible for his death 

0

The Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC) has cleared itself of the death of a premature baby boy, Quavo Daniel Kashika, who was inside an Incubator when the bulb from the lamp inside exploded and burnt the baby’s arm and a leg on December 24, 2018.  

 The Hospital said the burns were not life-threatening. 

Baby Quavo died on February 8, 2019 – some three weeks after his discharge from the hospital – but was re-admitted a day prior “in an extremely weakened state and with severe respiratory difficulties,” the Hospital said. 

A post-mortem examination was “inclusive” but ruled out “death due to burns,” the Public Hospital clarified. 

A statement from the GPHC Saturday explained in detail that the baby’s mother Odessa Ford was admitted to GPHC’s Maternity Ward on December 19, 2019, where she gave birth to the premature infant.  

At the time of birth, the infant was diagnosed with low birth weight, pulmonary sepsis, and respiratory failure, “all associated with premature birth,” the Hospital noted.   

Baby Quavo was transferred to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) for care and treatment while his mother was discharged on December 22, 2018. 

Baby Quavo remained in the NICU until he was discharged on January 21, 2019. 

“During his stay at the hospital, which was over one month, Quavo remained intubated in the NICU and was closely monitored by the medical staff and treated with a variety of medication to improve his condition.” 

According to the Hospital, “On 24th December 2018, the bulb of a heat lamp that was located in the incubator to provide warmth for the infant exploded causing an area on Quavo’s arm and another on his leg to be scorched. One of the nurses monitoring the NICU at the time also received superficial burns to her forearm as she removed Quavo from danger.”    

The Hospital explained that the attending physician was immediately summoned to examine the infant.   

“On examination, the physician found superficial, non-life- threatening burns to the infant’s left arm and leg.  Quavo was subsequently referred to our Burn Care Unit for review and management.”                

According to the GPHC, baby Quavo continued to be nursed in the NICU until his secondary respiratory challenges were resolved and he was subsequently discharged into the care of his mother on January 21, 2019.   

But “some three weeks after discharge, Quavo was readmitted to GPHC in an extremely weakened state and with severe respiratory difficulties. Unfortunately, despite the valiant efforts of the medical staff to stabilize him, he died on 8 th February 2019, one day after readmission.” 

According to the Hospital, the mother and grandmother, Sharon Harding were informed that the respiratory challenges and poor condition of the infant at the time of readmission were unrelated to his burns.  

“They were also informed that the superficial burns sustained by Quavo were not life-threatening and, as evidenced by the post mortem report, did not cause his death. A formal apology was also offered to the family with regard to the burns sustained by the infant.”  

“Following that meeting Ms Odessa Forde appeared satisfied with the explanation offered. However, Ms. Sharon Harding; who was not directly involved in the care of Quavo, remained relentless.” 

“The incident was an unfortunate one that was random and unforeseen. We continue to monitor and conduct risk assessments on various types of equipment within this institution in an effort to continuously reduce the risks associated with their usage during patient care.”  

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.