Corentyne fire leaves one injured, several homeless

0

One person is injured and several are now homeless after a fire moments ago destroyed a five-bedroom house at Manchester Village East Berbice, Corentyne.

The News Room understands that the fire started at around 20:00hrs and quickly engulfed the house with its owner, Ingrid Morgan popularly called “Mangay” trapped inside.

Public-spirited citizens rushed to assist the elderly woman, who is said to be in her mid-sixties, and managed to save her from the flames.

“We see the smoke and by the time I reach down the dam the whole house ketch…She did trap inside and we had to knock down the door to get she out. She husband and she alone did deh home but he did sleeping,” an eyewitness recalled.

Morgan received burns about her body but the News Room understands her injuries are not life-threatening.

The occupants of the home did not manage to save anything.

Despite the quick response from the Rose Hall fire station, the firemen could not save the wooden and concrete building which was quickly reduced to rubbles.

Unconfirmed reports suggest that the fire started from a gas stove which was aided by the explosion of a gas cylinder.

However, some eyewitnesses believe the fire was electrical in origin as they recalled noticing sparks emanating from the house earlier.

No family member was available for comment as they all went to the hospital to check on the injured owner.

Investigations are ongoing.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.