Chief Justice clarifies application filed by Chris Ram
See below a press release issued by the Supreme Court of Judicature:
The Honourable Justice Roxane George Chief Justice (ag) has noted that there is some misinformation that has been carried in the news by different sections of the media with reference to the Fixed Date Application (FDA) filed by Christopher Ram vs. the Chief Elections Officer, Commissioner of the National Registration, The Guyana Elections Commission and the Attorney General which was heard on Tuesday, July 23, 2019.
The following clarifications are made:-
(1) The claim for an order compelling the Chief Elections Officer or the Commissioner of National Registration to take all necessary steps and actions to hold General and Regional Elections on or before the 18th day of September 2019 HAS NOT been withdrawn.
(2) Another FDA HAS NOT been filed. The Notice of Application filed with the FDA was dealt with by the court and only the conservatory order that was sought was refused.
(3) The applicant in the matter did not request to resubmit the FDA. The applicant, however, requested and was given permission to file a supplementary affidavit in support of the FDA by 16:15hrs on July 23, 2019, to be served by 10:00hrs on July 24, 2019.
(4) The Honourable Chief Justice (ag) stated that the consequential orders of the Caribbean Court of Justice indicate that elections be held by September 18, 2019, or such longer period as the National Assembly determines.
(5) The hearing of the FDA stands adjourned to August 2nd, 2019 and not August 7th, 2019.