Body of 7-y-0 burn victim being flown home for funeral


The body of seven-year-old Shaniya Persaud is being flown to Guyana for burial.

Shaniya fought a long and difficult battle after she was badly burnt about her body when her North Mon Repos house caught fire on August 5.

On Sunday evening Shaniya succumbed to her injuries at the Shriners Hospital in Texas, USA.

The Saving Hands Emergency Aid (SHEA) – a non-profit Organisation that helped evacuate her for emergency treatment in the U.S. – stated that her heart stopped twice on Sunday and her doctors tried desperately to resuscitate her.

However, when her heart stopped for the third time, she was pronounced dead.

The News Room spoke with the child’s father, Lakeram Persuad, via telephone on Monday and he said his daughter’s burial will take place in Guyana.

The father noted that the organisations which helped had said that whatever happens to her, she will be returned to Guyana.

Shaniya’s mother, Samantha Gayadin, had flown with her when she was evacuated and never left her side throughout her treatment.

Relatives told the News Room that the mother keeps going in and out of consciousness.

Shaniya was in a stable condition after her first phase of treatment.

However, on Friday September 6, doctors had to amputate one of her legs, a few of her fingers and a section of her ear.

SHEA said that doctors tried everything possible to treat the little girl, but she also had internal injuries that were difficult to treat.

Shaniya and her mother, Samantha

Meanwhile, a relative, Morrina Biswah, said Shaniya did not deserve to suffer like that.

“Shaniya was a loving child, very respectable and love to keep everybody up.

“She was very innocent; we all know she didn’t know deserve this, she was too young for this.

“We will always love Shaniya and all we have left now are memories.”

Shaniya was described as a very brave, smart and active child. Biswah said she will be greatly missed. Even the little children that played with Shaniya in the street, stopped playing since her tragic incident.

The Rotary Club of Demerara, which also greatly assisted in Shaniya’s evacuation to the United States, stated that they are saddened at her passing.

It was a traumatic scene when little Shaniya walked out of her family’s burning house engulfed in flames and ran to the end of the street screaming for her mother.



Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.