Leopold Street protesters damage Fire Service vehicle


Protestors on Leopold Street, Werk-en-rust, Georgetown on Wednesday threw missiles at a Guyana Fire Service vehicle, damaging the front windshield and passenger window, Police Headquarters said in a statement.

Residents of Leopold Street and relatives of 34-year-old Orin Odingo Williams began protesting at about 09:00hrs Wednesday after Williams was shot dead by two Police Officers after midnight Tuesday.

Residents burnt tyres and other debris at the corner of Breda, Leopold and Durban streets.

The protest lasted for about four hours. Heavy police presence was at the scene but could not control the residents.

The Guyana Fire Service subsequently arrived to extinguish the fire but was met with resistance from the residents.

‘A’ Division Commander and Assistant Commissioner of Police Marlon Chapman spoke with the residents in the presence of attorney-at-law Nigel Hughes and assured them that a thorough investigation into the matter will be conducted, Police Headquarters noted.

After this, the residents ended their protest and extinguished the fires.

Williams was shot in the abdomen and chest area on Norton Street, Wortmanville at about 01:45hrs Wednesday.

The News Room understands that about 01:30hrs, two Police Officers responded to a report made at the Stabroek Police Outpost of an alleged robbery under arms.

Four persons were reportedly held at gunpoint at the corner of Hadfield and High Streets by three men and robbed of four cell phones, an undisclosed amount of cash and personal documents.

Dead: Orin Odingo Williams

A report was made to the Stabroek Police Outpost after which the two Police Officers went in search of the suspects and while in the vicinity of High and Leopold Streets they saw two males on bicycles heading east on Leopold Street.

The officers chased the suspects and caught up with Williams on Norton Street. He reportedly jumped off his bicycle and pulled out a firearm and discharged two rounds at the officers.

The officers returned fire and Williams was shot in the abdomen and chest area. He was taken to the Georgetown Public Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

Police Headquarters said that the robbery victims positively identified Williams as one of the three suspects who robbed them.

Williams was a father of two and returned to Guyana about two months ago after serving prison time in French Guiana.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.