$25M water supply system commissioned in Sand Creek

0

The first water supply system in Sand Creek, Region 9 was commissioned Saturday signalling first-time access to potable water in the homes of more than 1000 residents.

The $25M system which is located approximately two and a half hours from the town of Lethem was funded by the Guyana Water Incorporated (GWI) and the Pan-American Health Organisation (PAHO) and executed by GWI in close collaboration with the Sand Creek Village Council.

It was declared open by Vice President and Minister of Indigenous Peoples’ Affairs Sydney Allicock and Minister of Communities Ronald Bulkan, as Managing Director of GWI, Dr Richard Van West-Charles and other officials looked on.

The system is the fourth to be officially opened in just one week. During the weekend of November 23 and 24, GWI commissioned the Yupukari, Kaicumbay and Moco Moco Water Supply Systems.

Vice President and Minister of Indigenous Peoples’ Affairs Sydney Allicock and Minister of Communities Ronald Bulkan unveiled the plaque, as Managing Director of GWI, Dr. Richard Van West-Charles and other officials looked on.

The new Sand Creek system comprises a well, drilled to a depth of 236 feet, a photovoltaic system equipped with 18 solar panels, individual service connections as well as standpipes at strategic locations throughout the village, five kilometres of transmission and distribution mains and two main trestles with 4 storage tanks each.

Currently, the system supplies 95% of the community with direct access to potable water, including the schools, dormitory, health centre and sports ground. The remaining 5% of the community is scheduled to be connected to the system in 2020.

GWI has also conducted repairs to the sanitary blocks at the Sand Creek Health Center, Primary and Secondary Schools and major upgrades to the plumbing systems at those facilities. Further, 26 showers were installed for pensioners in the community with several more to be done.

Speaking at the ceremony Mr Bulkan stated that access to safe water is important for the health and well-being of citizens and to ensure that communities progress and realise their full developmental potential.

Minister Bulkan emphasized that the provision of water provides the opportunity to transform livelihoods, noting that government is committed to improving the lives of all Guyanese even as he highlighted President David Granger’s strategic plan to reduce the disparity between the hinterland and the coastland.

Managing Director of GWI, Dr Richard Van West-Charles stated that it was in this community that GWI first utilised newly acquired technology to identify the depth of a well.

Additionally, a total of 12 residents from Sand Creek, Shulinab, Quiko, Kathur and Shiriri were trained in the management of small water supply systems and water quality, which will allow for the sustainability of the water supply systems in the respective communities. (Modified GWI press release)

 

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.