Heartbreak as Corentyne family aborts Christmas luncheon to plan a funeral


Preparations for an annual family Christmas luncheon had to be converted to plans for a wake and funeral for the Lewis family of Corentyne, Berbice.

Steven “Shabba” Lewis, 27, a vendor of Lot 29 Portuguese Quarter, Port Mourant was stabbed to death after he was attacked when a game of ‘Chic Chic’ at the Rose Hall Town Public Road turned into a fight.

The incident occurred at about 22:20hrs on Christmas Eve.

The area where the incident occurred. 

According to information received, Lewis and the suspect who is from Rose Hall Town were involved in an argument which led to the fight. Lewis received several injuries to his face, neck and mouth.

The 27-year-old cane cutter who committed the act has been arrested.

Speaking with the News Room, Lewis’ grandmother Janet Davis, 64, recalled that she last saw Lewis on Tuesday. Davis said she was on her way home after selling when she saw him on the road and he bought her several Christmas goodies.

“He said, ‘Mommy come, carry these things’ and he pack me up for Christmas,” she said.

Lewis’ grandmother Janet Davis

Davis told the News Room that every year the family would enjoy a Christmas lunch together and they were preparing for that. As news spread of the young man’s untimely death, a number of residents and family members gathered at the home to offer support to the grandmother.

Christmas Eve night in Rose Hall Town is known for a massive street lime; the public road is lined with vendors, music sets, games and food stalls, with stores opening as late as midnight. Following the incident, the street lime ended abruptly.

In light of the incident, there have been calls for the lime to be discontinued; otherwise it should be policed properly.

Meanwhile, another man identified as Kevin Gopielall was also seriously injured after he was involved in a fight on Christmas Eve night in Rose Hall Town.

He was reportedly stabbed and also received cut to his hand and chest. He was subsequently assisted by public spirited persons and Police who transported him to the Port Mourant Hospital.

The suspect in that incident is being sought by the Police.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.