Woman found in Aracari bathtub was hit in head, strangled; male committed suicide


A post-mortem examination has found that Priya Nandram, the woman found dead in a bathtub at the Aracari Resort, West Bank Demerara was hit in the head and strangled to death , while her boyfriend, Kevin Singh, ingested a poisonous substance and drowned.

The couple were found by Aracari staff on Sunday after calls to their room went unanswered.

Relatives told the News Room that Police, following the post mortem told them Nandram was also hit in the head.

Nandram’s mother had told the News Room she doubted that her daughter committed suicide.

26-year-old Sabrina ‘Priya’ Nandram and her boyfriend Kevin Singh had checked into Aracari on Saturday last.

Sabita Singh, 46, the mother of Nandram said her daughter left her on Saturday morning to drop her two sons by their grandmother on the East Coast of Demerara and she was scheduled to return on Sunday around noon. The children are being cared for by their paternal grandparents; their father resides overseas.

Mrs Singh said her daughter would usually take the children on holidays and they were all at her home at Allness in Berbice. On Saturday, her daughter left to take the children back to their grandparents.

Mrs Singh said she last heard from her daughter on Saturday evening around 19:00 hrs when she called her on the phone and she said she was in Georgetown and will return on Sunday.

On Sunday, when she did not return at noon as she indicated, Mrs Singh said she continuously called her phone and it was at around 18:00 hrs that a Policeman answered the phone, only to tell her that her daughter was dead.

She told the News Room that her daughter never spoke about taking her own life as she was one who feared death. The mother is at a loss about what happened.

Mrs Singh said her daughter showed no sign of having problems. She said that it was last November that Nandram quit her job at a Gas Station in Buxton, East Coast Demerara and returned home to Berbice.

She said the boyfriend was known to the family and would even visit the family house at Allness; she said the couple, who were together for about two years, appeared happy.

She described her daughter as a caring, loving and willing individual who loved her children dearly.

Police said the couple checked into the hotel about 15:38hrs Saturday and was scheduled to check out at 12 noon on Sunday.

However, Singh made arrangements for a longer stay at the hotel.

When hotel management called the room and got no response, they entered the room and discovered the couple dead.


Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.