Young couple bedridden after struck down on LBI road


By Isanella Patoir

A young fisherman and his wife are now bedridden after they were struck down on the La Bonne Intention (LBI) public road on January 29.

The couple, 23-year-old Naresh Chunilall and 20-year-old, Priya Mangra of Pigeon Island, Chateau Margot, East Coast Demerara were crossing the road on a bicycle when they were struck by motorcar HC 257.

The News Room understands that an ex-policeman was driving the car at the time.

Close to a month since the accident, the couple cannot do anything for themselves as they both have steel in their legs due to the injuries.

Chunilall sustained broken bones to three parts of his leg and arm, while his wife’s leg was also broken in three places. They have a five-year-old son together.

“The day we were riding, we was coming from Mon Repos side and we stop at LBI supermarket, same time we crossing the road all we can remember when the car knock we, we nah know back anything,” Chunilall recalled.

“My leg break three parts, my hand and foot get steel, we can’t help we self,” he said sadly.

The couple was hospitalised at the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPHC) for a week before being discharged.

Chunilall’s mother, 42-year-old Arondhatee Lall spoke about the challenges in taking care of the couple and their son but thanked neighbours and relatives for assisting.

“We find it hard, if neighbours and people don’t come, me alone can’t manage,” the mother said.

She said her son is the main breadwinner for the family and was scheduled to leave for sea when the accident occurred.

“Me glad to see some justice because he is the breadwinner for he home and he got a little son.”

The couple cannot walk or sit upright and also in constant pain.

The mother said they had to put the couple’s bed outside to make things easier; they also built a commode and a stretcher to help them move around.

The mother further explained that the couple has to visit the hospital for checkups every month and they have to hire a bus so they can each lay on a seat.

According to the mother, the driver who struck down the couple visited them and expressed his apology.

When contacted Regional Commander, Assistant Commissioner Royston Andries-Junor said there has been a hold up with the investigation.

“The file cannot be completed unless they revisit the scene, the police offer to take a taxi there to take the people to the scene so that they could give markings and identify the spot but the mother said they cannot go in a taxi,” the Commander said.

The Commander said when the scene is revisited the file will be completed and sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions for legal advice.

Meanwhile, the family said they will accept any support and can be contacted on 660 7762.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.