GPHC reduces visitation to tackle COVID-19
The Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation will be reducing the number of visitors allowed per patient as it battles to contain the spread of the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19).
The News Room understands that some persons whose immune systems are compromised will not be allowed any visitors.
Strategic Planning and Communications Manager at GPHC Chelauna Providence told the News Room that the guidelines which were recently approved will include mandatory screening at the gates for all persons, including staff.
“We will be limiting visitors to one per adult and there will be no visitors allowed in the emergency department (except for minors who can be accompanied by one parent or guardian). No visitation will be allowed to any of our patients who are immune-compromised,” Providence explained.
The new guidelines apply to all areas of the hospital.
Providence told the News Room that the guidelines will be published in the local newspapers this week and will be implemented immediately.
Chief Executive Officer at the GPHC, retired brigadier George Lewis at a press conference on Monday said the hospital has also established a number of screening areas.
He noted that patients are being checked before being granted access to the hospital. If there are any persons who need further assessment, they are sent to a triage area to receive attention.
Meanwhile, the CEO raised concerns about the treatment of healthcare workers.
“Our biggest concern is the way our healthcare workers are being treated… a number of our nurses and doctors are being discriminated against when they attempt to use private transportation and they’re moving around in supermarkets and other areas.”
Lewis urged the public to desist from discriminating against healthcare workers adding that “without the healthcare workers, we cannot beat COVID-19.”
He also cautioned members of the public against sharing unverified information noting that “when these things when they occur, they drive fear among the general populace.”
Guyana has so far confirmed 12 COVID-19 cases.
The first patient who was diagnosed with the disease in Guyana died at the GPHC on March 11 and on March 31, Guyana recorded its second death, also at the hospital.
The health professionals who came into contact with the first case were quarantined and monitored for symptoms of the disease while the second patient died in the Intensive Care Unit.