GECOM promotes IT officer in flash drive scandal to supervise District Four recount


The Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM0 has promoted a member of its IT staff, who was involved in a scandal over the derailment of the District Four vote count that led to a fraudulent declaration, to manage one of the recount stations for the said District Four.

The move has drawn a sharp response from the People’s Progressive Party (PPP), which has written to Justice Claudette Singh, Chair of GECOM.

The IT officer, Enrique Livan, was placed to supervise recount station 10, and some party agents have already accused him of acting contrary to the practice established.

It is the same Livan who was questioned extensively by Police on the night of March 4 when the tabulation of votes of District Four was derailed when Returning Officer Clairmont Mingo breached the law in the manner of the tabulation of votes.

On the afternoon of March 4, when the tabulation was aborted, two GECOM staff were put in place to continue the process. Shortly after, they complained of feeling tired and later that night, when the process restarted, Mr Livan forced an abrupt end when he left the room with his laptop and a flash drive which caused party agents to be suspicious. The Police were called in and Mr Livan was questioned.

The tabulation never restarted after that and the following day Mr Mingo made a declaration that was widely condemned as being fraudulent. He made a second declaration and that was also questioned, leading to the current recount.

But with Livan now at one of the recount stations for the very District Four, there is concern.

“Since (Livan) arrived in station 10, he has been making decisions favourable to APNU,” one agent report.

They added that from “today things changed” and he has prohibited every party agent and observer from taking photos of the sealed ballot boxes.

GECOM Public Relations Officer Yolanda Ward confirmed that Livan was promoted to the position. She said this was because the GECOM staff who was working has left for Moruca in Region One for a week and GECOM had to fill his spot.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.