127 COVID-19 cases; special appeal made to men
As of May 21, 2020, Guyana recorded two new Coronavirus cases, bringing the total number of known cases to 127 with the majority being men.
The Ministry of Public Health announced that it is “very concerned” with the increased cases seen in Regions 1 (Barima-Waini) and 7 (Cuyuni- Mazaruni).
As of Thursday, Region 1 has two confirmed cases in two of their sub districts while Region 7 has a total of seven cases.
Region Four remains the epicenter of the outbreak and makes up 80% of the total cases.
To date, the total number of persons tested is 1,329 with the total number of negative cases being 1,202.
There are 57 persons that have recovered and the number of deaths remains at 10; this means that there are 60 active cases in institutional isolation while three patients remain in the COVID-19 ICU.
The Ministry of Public Health made a special appeal to the males in Guyana, noting that they make up the majority of the cases.
- For our relatively small population we have seen an alarming rise in the number of cases with the majority being men.
- As of yesterday, you were informed that the ratio stands at 71 males: 54 females.
- Of the 10 deaths, 8 are males.
- These men are between 16 & 59 years old.
- Region 4 is the most densely populated region and as such, 80% of the registered cases have been found in Region 4.
- This clearly indicates that persons are not taking note of and putting into practice the strict guidelines for the prevention of transmission of COVID-19.
- It is the general understanding that men have poor health-seeking behavior; this is further emphasized by the current situation.
- But wait, the plot thickens… lots of males that have been positively diagnosed, are not single. As a result of this, their partners and children have to be tested due to them being exposed.
- There is no shame in wearing a face-mask, in practicing social-distancing, or even in constantly sanitizing your hands.
- There will be no loss of pride but there could be loss of health and/or life for you and your loved ones.
- The Men’s Health Unit of the Ministry of Public Health has not been idle during this time.
- We believe you cannot be “for” the people if you cannot be “of” the people.
- I say that to say this: We are on the road, we have seen the gatherings at the bars and corner shops during the day to compensate for their closure from 6 p.m.
- And at nights way after the 6pm hour you are still hanging with the boys on the road, having parties, playing football
- Through the hotline of the “Health Emergency Operations Centre”, it has emerged that men think COVID-19 is not “in their area” or “because our number of positive cases and deaths is low, that it is under control.”
- I am pleading with you, men, to think about your family, your communities and your country.
- Stay home, practice social-distancing and wear your face-masks.
- Get to know the recommended guidelines and put them into practice.
- Because, if it is that you don’t like the way COVID-19 has the country right now, please know that you are prolonging this period every time you don’t practice the preventative measures, and the only one you have to blame is yourself.
- Thank you for listening
- Go with God and stay safe men