No COVID-19 lockdown – Harmon says

0

Three days before the expiry of the current curfew period, Chief Executive Officer of the National COVID-19 Task Force (NCTF) Joseph Harmon has assured that the country will not be going into a period of lockdown.

“The [NCTF] has not considered a national lockdown. What we have before us is a consideration for the extension of the current measures beyond the 3rd of June and this has nothing to do with a complete lockdown,” he said in a video statement on Saturday.

According to Harmon, talks of a complete lockdown in Guyana from next week is just “a rumour” which is forcing people to do panic buying and creating unnecessary crowds in the markets.

Harmon issued a call for all Guyanese to observe physical distancing, wearing of masks and engage in frequent hand washing and other hygienic practices.

He emphasised that persons should only go outdoors for essential services.

Guyana recorded its 12th COVID-19 death on Saturday. So far, 150 persons have tested positive for the disease.

Of that amount, there are 71 active cases and 67 recoveries.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.