Motorcyclists were seen speeding moments before fatal accident


The motorcyclists who died in a horrific accident on the Le Destin, East Bank Essequibo Public Road Sunday afternoon were among a group of 15 riders who were seen speeding on the West Demerara Public Road moments before the collision occurred.

In a video seen by the News Room, the bikers were observed riding in a cluster and in the path of vehicles from the opposition direction.

Photos of the accident show completely wrecked motorcycles and the bodies of the men lying in a pool of blood on the roadway.

The car which was involved in the accident also suffered severe damage. It has become the norm for bikers to engage in a ‘Sunday afternoon bike ride’.

The accident scene Sunday afternoon

Those dead have been identified as 23-year-old Shar Scott of Samaroo Dam Pouderoyen, West Bank Demerara (WBD) and 22-year-old Makel Jones of Middle Street, Pouderoyen.

Both motorcyclists had pillion riders at the time of the accident – Gerald Rampersaud of Goed Fortuin, WBD and Tyreace Beckles of Parfaite Harmonie, WBD.

Rampersaud and Beckles received severe injuries and are in a serious condition at the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPHC).

Their friends were pronounced dead on arrival at the Leonora Cottage Hospital.

Regional Commander Assistant Commissioner, Simon McBean told the News Room that the accident occurred at about 16:30h.

Two injured persons are seen lying on the side of the road

The 22-year-old driver of the car PXX 9662, was proceeding west along the southern roadway and while negotiating a turn he observed approximately 15 motorcycles proceeding from the opposite direction.

The driver stated that one of the motorcyclists drove into his path; he applied brakes but the motorcyclist collided with the front right side of the car.

The other motorcycle involved in the accident then collided with the left side of the car and caused the car to slide to the northern side of the road.

The News Room understands one passenger was in the car. The driver received minor injuries; he was treated at the hospital and sent away and is now in Police custody assisting with the investigation.
Commander McBean said he tested negative for alcohol.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.