Public Works Ministers Juan Edghill and Deodat Indar have urged the contractor at the Leguan stelling to complete his work in a timely manner.
Maraj Contracting Service was awarded a contract to renovate the stelling in September 2018. While the project was supposed to be completed within six months, it is still ongoing.
During a visit to the location on Friday, the Ministers inspected the project and assured residents that their long wait will come to an end.
Minister Edghill noted that the issues encountered so far were addressed by the General Manager of Transport and Harbours Department, Marclene Merchant as well as the with the contractor Mr. Maraj.
“I told him to get to work and I will come one week after to inspect and see what is taking place,” Edghill told residents in a subsequent engagement.
Edghill said the project was “badly managed and administered.” This he said includes, among other things, untimely decision-making and lack of settlement of matters of dispute.
“And while all of this is going on you are the ones suffering.”
He noted that when the project is complete, it must also take into consideration the elderly and have the necessary facilities established.
Further, the Minister instructed the contractors to install safety signs to prevent injuries to passengers who still occupy the stelling.
“The commitment that we will give to you is that wherever work is being undertaken, the unpriced bill of quantity must be placed public in the community so that people could be able to examine and check to make sure what needs to be done is being done,” the Minister concluded.
(Extracted and modified from the Department of Public Information)