Two new COVID-19 deaths; 19 new cases
The Ministry of Health on Thursday confirmed two additional deaths from COVID-19 and 19 new cases.
According to the Ministry, a 67 -year-old male from Region Three (Essequibo Islands- West Demerara) died while receiving care at a medical facility.
The second victim is a 48-year-old man from Region 4 (Demerara/Mahaica).
“Samples were collected from both at the time of admission and were tested positive for COVID-19,” the Ministry said, however, it did not state where the persons died.
The Ministry expressed condolences to the families of these persons and said it will make every effort to provide all the necessary support during this difficult time to render any assistance needed.
Officials of the Ministry have contacted all relatives and persons to facilitate contact tracing and rapid assistance to everyone who may have been exposed to the now-dead persons. The Ministry is also appealing to the general public to respect the confidentiality of the deceased and their families and to allow them to mourn their tragic loss in peace.
The two latest fatalities should have moved the total number of COVID related deaths to 45 since the Ministry reported its 42nd and 43rd deaths on Tuesday. However, the Ministry now claims that a patient who was recorded as a COVID-19 death did not, in fact, die from the disease. The Ministry did not issue a statement with the clarifications.
As such, the total deaths are now at 44.
On Thursday, the Ministry recorded 19 new cases of the disease from 122 tests. The total number of cases is 1,401.
The new cases were recorded in the following regions:
Region One – Two
Region Three- One
Region Four- Fourteen
Region Seven- Two
So far, 9,040 tests were done.
There are 14 persons in the COVID-19 ICU and 538 persons in institutional isolation.
So far, 805 persons have recovered; an increase of 26 from 779 on Wednesday.
There are 98 persons in quarantine.
All Guyanese are reminded to observe the protocols of the COVID-19 EMERGENCY MEASURES (NO. 9) which are in effect until September 30, 2020. This order emphasizes:
the need for correct and consistent use of a face masks when leaving their homes;
the importance of maintaining the six feet physical distance from others
and the need for good hand-hygiene to help reduce the spread of COVID-19.
If anyone is displaying any of the symptoms associated with COVID-19, or need any additional information kindly contact the COVID-19 Hotline 231 1166, 226 7480 or 624 6674 IMMEDIATELY or visit us at www.health.gov.gy .