Family grieving brutal murder of Haresh Singh; says he was sole breadwinner


A Number 3 Village, West Coast Berbice family remains in shock and is grieving the death of 17-year-old Haresh Singh who was murdered on Wednesday.

The family said he was the sole breadwinner for his grandparents and two younger siblings.

Singh was discovered in an unconscious state in a rice field on the way to his farm. The discovery was made at around 11:30h by his 12-year-old brother.

His 15-year-old sister Amrita Singh told the News Room that her brother left home on his motorcycle to transport water for his uncles who were in the backdam.

Amrita said the family noticed a group of men headed into the backdam and became suspicious as they appear to be persons who were protesting the death of Isaiah and Joel Henry who were brutally murdered at the weekend.

“We watched from the verandah and didn’t hear back the motorbike noise. My grandmother sent my other brother to look for Haresh.”

Upon investigating, the 12-year-old saw the torched motorbike on the dam but did not see his brother. He reportedly walked to the farm and asked if his older brother was there.

“They say no [he] didn’t come down and whilst he (12-year-old) was coming back, he saw him [Singh] in the rice field bleeding through his nose and ears,” the distraught sister told the News Room.

The Police were contacted and relatives rushed the young man to the News Amsterdam Hospital, however, he died before reaching there.

The young man and two siblings lived at Number 3 Village with their grandparents after their father died and their mother disappeared several years ago.

The News Room understands that Haresh’s grandfather and two of his uncles were arrested in relation to the murder of the Henry teens.

The family maintained that the men are innocent and were arrested after it was revealed that they were also in the backdam on the day of the gruesome murder of the teens.

The bodies of Isaiah and Joel Henry were discovered at Cotton Tree, West Coast Berbice (WCB) with multiple chops on Sunday last. They were last seen alive on Saturday when they left home to pick coconuts.

Post Mortem Examinations on Wednesday found that they died approximately 36 hours before they were found.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.