Female suspect in murder of businesswoman escapes custody after handed over by Surinamese


A team from the Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR) is in Region Six investigating the circumstances surrounding the escape of a 30-year-old female suspect in the murder of 86-year-old businesswoman, Bibi Ramjit of La Grange, West Bank Demerara (WBD).

“Right now there is a team from the Office of Professional Responsibility, they arrived this morning, and they’re conducting an investigation. A thorough investigation was ordered…by the Commissioner of Police,” Region Six Commander, Superintendent Jairam Ramlakhan told the News Room Friday.

The suspect of Mon Repos, East Coast Demerara (ECD) along with her accomplice, a 33-year-old taxi driver, were handed over by Surinamese authorities at about 17:10h on Wednesday at the Moleson Creek Ferry Stelling, but she escaped 25 minutes later from the Springlands Police Station.

The News Room understands that the two suspects were taken to the police station and placed on the prisoners’ bench; while the male was handcuffed and shackled to the bench, the female was only placed to sit.

At around 17:30h, the female asked to use the washroom and was escorted to the location by an officer on duty. Reports are that the suspect entered the washroom and locked the door, after which the rank returned to his desk.

Five minutes later, when he went to check on her, the cop claimed that he found the northern toilet window open and the prisoner was missing.

Checks were made around the area but she was not found. The female suspect is said to be the mastermind in the murder of the businesswoman which occurred between 15:00h and 17:00 on October 25.

Ramjit, who lived alone at 63 La Grange Old Road, was found dead in her home with her hands and feet tied at about 17:00h.  Police said the woman lived upstairs and operated the lower flat as a grocery shop.

At about 15:00h on the day, a 59-year-old farmer of Schoonard, WBD, went to buy eddoes from her. Police said Ramjit did not have change for the farmer’s $5,000 note and so he told her he would return later to pay her.

Two hours later, the man returned to the shop and after calling several times, he noticed the doors were opened and so he entered the house. There, he made the gruesome discovery and raised an alarm.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.