Fire leaves Berbice family of seven homeless
A family of seven was on Thursday left homeless after a fire of unknown origin destroyed their home just as they were preparing to usher in the New Year.
Thirty-six-year-old Jagdeo Ramotar, of Tain Primary School Street, said he rented the property along with his wife and five children ages, 12, 6, 10, 4 and 1 year old.
The distraught man, who works as a chef said he was at his place of employment mere houses away when he was told of the blaze; by the time he made it home, the entire upper flat of the two-storey wooden and concrete house was engulfed in flames.
In tears, the man said he is uncertain of his next move as the family did not manage to save anything.
The fire started approximately 15:30hrs in a bedroom in the upper flat.
33-year-old Amanda Ramotar, a housewife, was at home when the fire started. She said when she realized the house was on fire she grabbed the children and ran to safety.
She said the family were hoping to attend church service at the Tain Bible Church tonight to usher in the new year.
Neighbors attempted to quell the blaze by forming a bucket brigade but due to the intensity of fire they were unable to do so. The fire service arrived a short while after but was unable to save the house.