President happy with ‘great progress’ in Henry boys murder probe


President Irfaan Ali on Friday reposed full confidence in the Guyana Police Force as he talked up their investigative capacity, saying he has confidence that the police will be able to solve the Henry boys’ murder.

“I have full confidence in the police force and the ability of the Crime Chief and his team,” the President said at the sidelines of an event at his Shiv Chanderpaul Drive office.

The President comments come even as the police are preparing to charge three persons with the gruesome murders of teen cousins, Joel and Isaiah Henry, for which a confession has been secured from one of the suspects.

“I am very happy that great progress was achieved on the Henry boys’ matter,” he added.

The President said the latest developments in the four-month-old case is very important for the country, and it is a big step forward.

Three men – Vinod ‘Magga’ Gopaul, Anil ‘Tampoie’ Sanchara and Akash ‘Monkey’ Singh, are slated to be charged later on Friday with the murders. According to the video confession from one of the suspects, the boys were killed over the destruction of a ganja farm.

Dead: Isaiah and Joel Henry

The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), Shalimar Ali – Hack had recommended the criminal charges based on the evidence provided.  The police and the government have been under pressure by the relatives of the boys and the public to solve the crimes, which sparked violent protests throughout the country.

There was also a push for an Argentine Forensic team to offer assistance but authorities recently revealed that the FBI has been assisting.

The mutilated bodies of Isaiah, 16, and Joel, 18, were found in the Cotton Tree backlands, West Coast Berbice on September 6, 2020. The killers carved out a huge ‘X’ on Isaiah’s head while they cut open Joel’s chest.

The cousins had left their Number 3 Village, West Coast Berbice home to go into the backdam to pick coconuts on September 5 and that was the last time they were seen alive.

Approximately 27 persons were arrested during the course of the investigation but all were released due to lack of evidence.

Mass protests erupted following the killings. It was during those protests that 17-year-old Haresh Singh was killed. The police have not been able to arrest anyone in connection with his murder.


Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.