‘Good response’ to distribution of filaria meds; 39,000 persons in Regions 3, 4 took pills
Three days after the commencement of a mass distribution of filaria medication in Regions Three and Four, Minister of Health, Dr Frank Anthony is reporting that some 39,000 persons across the two regions have taken the pills.
“This is a relatively good percentage in such a short time,” he said during his daily briefing on Thursday.
Dr Anthony said the exercise has been “going well” and the “response has been good.”
He is optimistic that the national medication drive is off to a good start with the aim to offer the medication to as much persons as possible and Guyana ultimately declared filaria free by the World Health Organization (WHO).
The teams will spend a total of 14 days in Regions Three and Four; by March 1 to March 14, the distribution will be conducted in Regions Six and 10. All other regions will commence on March 18.
As the teams continue to work by going from house to house, Dr Anthony is urging the population to cooperate.
“We are providing the medication and we want people to take it so that they can be protected.”
“…because if we are successful at this, then in a few months we can be certified by WHO to have eliminated filaria from Guyana,” he said.
Dr Anthony had said previously that if this time elapses and persons do not take the second dose of the medication, then the programme will have to restart. He said this would reverse the gains made during the mass administration of the first dose of the filaria tablets two years ago.