Murder accused on remand for almost 7 years applies for bail, files motion against the State


Lennox Wayne called “Two Colours”, who is currently on remand awaiting a retrial at the High Court for the 2014 execution-style murder of Lusignan hairdresser, Ashmini Hariram, has approached the same court for bail pending his case, in addition to wanting a permanent stay of the proceedings since his rights for a fair hearing within a reasonable time was breached.

Wayne, along with another, are jointly charged with the July 10, 2014 murder of Hariram, who was shot and killed at Lusignan Railway Embankment, East Coast Demerara.

In May 2017, the case was tired at the Georgetown High Court before Justice Jo-Ann Barlow and a 12-member jury, however, it ended with a hung jury and a retrial was ordered.

In January this year, Wayne appeared at the High Court with the intention of taking a plea bargain for the offence, however, he changed his mind. In the constitutional motion filed against the State by attorneys-at-law Nigel Hughes and Ronald Daniels, Wayne is seeking an order admitting him to bail pending the hearing and determination for his application.

Wayne is also seeking a permanent stay of proceedings for the murder charge against him since his right to a fair hearing within a reasonable time as guaranteed by the provisions of Article 144 for the constitution has been infringed.  The appellant is also seeking $100,000 for the breach of his fundamental right.  The respondent in the case is Attorney General Anil Nandlall, SC.

The case comes up for hearing on March 23, 2021, before High Court judge, Justice Navindra Singh.

According to reports, Wayne is alleged to be the triggerman, while his co-accused Elroy Doris, is alleged to be the taxi driver who drove him to the location and pointed out 18-year-old Hariram, who was walking along the Lusignan Railway Embankment with a female friend.

It was reported that Wayne got out of the car and pointed a gun in the direction of Hariram and shot her to the head and after she fell to the ground, he took her cell phone and fled the scene. It is alleged that the duo was paid $2.5 million for the murder.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.