‘Short Boss’ gets life in prison for 2018 execution in Sophia


Travis Evans, also known as ‘Short Boss’, was on Thursday sentenced to life in prison for the execution-style killing of Ronsley Clarke, who he shot and killed at a ‘C’ Field, Sophia, Georgetown shop in 2018.

The sentencing was handed down by Justice Sandil Kissoon at the Georgetown High Court. Earlier this month, Evans was indicted for murder, but he opted to enter a guilty plea to the lesser count of manslaughter.

He confessed that on August 2, 2018, he unlawfully killed Clarke. The State was represented by prosecutor Lisa Cave while Evans was represented by attorney-at-law, Mark Conway.

Dead: Ronsley Clarke

Conway, during his plea of mitigation, asked the court to consider that his client was abandoned by his parents at a young age and had no role model while growing up. The attorney noted that while on remand, his client attended anger management classes and other classes for carpentry with the aim of turning his life around.

Prosecutor Cave, however, asked the court to consider that a weapon was used to commit what she described to be a “senseless and cowardly act.”  She also stressed that Evans was convicted in the past for armed robbery and escaping from police custody. Additionally, the prosecutor noted that Evans is currently on remand awaiting trial for another murder and rape.

Justice Kissoon, before sentencing Evans, said that he “committed a heinous crime without reason in a calculated act” and that “this offence is the gravest offence that can be committed by man on his fellow man.”

The judge also considered the prevalence of homicide in society and the need to send a strong message to deter likeminded persons from committing similar acts.

In the end, Justice Kissoon sentenced Evans to life imprisonment with the possibility of parole after serving 25 years.

According to reports, on the day in question, Clarke was at a birthday celebration in Sophia and was standing in front of a shop with some friends. Evans walked up to Clarke and discharged three rounds from his firearm before making good his escape.

When Evans was arrested, he allegedly told the police that he and Clarke had an altercation prior to the incident and he decided to shoot Clarke as revenge.

Evans was one of three prisoners who escaped from the Lusignan Prison on October 15, 2018. He was recaptured days after.


Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.