Sixteen contracts totalling almost $1 billion were signed with several contractors on Wednesday for a variety of works to be carried out over the next few months at agencies across the agriculture sector.
The contracts were signed in the boardroom of the Ministry of Agriculture in the presence of the subject minister, Zulfikar Mustapha.
Of the 16 contracts, eight were signed for works at the National Drainage and Irrigation Authority (NDIA); it also includes the procurement of a new SUV for the Hydromet Office and other works at the National Agricultural Research and Extension Institute (NAREI) and the Hope Coconut Industries Limited.
There will also be the installation of a geotextile tube along the foreshore at Non Pariel, East Coast Demerara, and a new drainage sluice constructed at New Friendship, Wakenaam.
Mustapha said the signing of the contracts will see the ministry’s work programme for this year being further advanced. “We are continuing this afternoon to deliver to Guyanese goods and services to enhance their lives,” he said.
The minister implored the contractors of the need to ensure all works are executed according to the contracts specification. “… and we depend on you who will help us execute so we can create the necessary facilities to enhance the agriculture sector,” he added.
Mustapha claimed that since August 2020, there has been a renewed interest in agriculture and it for this reason that the government has increased the budgetary allocation for the sector.
“We need these works to be completed on time, we need these works to be done following the necessary specification… you need to work very effectively and very efficiently,” he told the contractors.
Speaking about the sector from a regional perspective, he said, “Guyana today is once again taking its rightful place in the region.”
He told contractors that the unfortunate experiences of the past, where contracts were not completed on time and contractors reneging on the contracts, will not be tolerated.
“I hope will not have those issues again,” he said even as he assured of a range of mega projects for the sector.
“We will be looking at you and monitoring these contracts.”
The 16 contracts are as follows:
- Installation of revetment at Endeavour, Canal #2 to the tune of $18.7M, awarded to RN Construction
- Rehabilitation of union sluice at MMA-ADA Region #5 to the tune of $79.4M, awarded to Kascon Engineering Services
- Rehabilitation of a sluice at Lima, Essequibo Coast to the tune of $57.7M, awarded to Samaroo Investments
- Rehabilitation of drainage structure at Henrietta, Leguan to the tune of $61.7M, awarded to Khan’s Construction and Transportation Services Inc.
- Construction of new drainage sluice at New Friendship, Wakenaam to the tune of $143.3M, awarded to Khan’s Construction and Transportation Services Inc.
- Rehabilitation of EDWC Guest House at Land of Canaan to the tune of $25.9M, awarded to Z&H Investments Inc.
- Supply of cutter edge dredge to the NDIA to the tune of $497.4M, awarded to S. Jagmohan Hardware Supplies
- Fabrication and installation of stainless steel door at Young Street, Georgetown Sluice to the tune of $12.7M, awarded to General Engineering Supplies and Services Inc.
- Supply and delivery of 1 30 seater bus for the Guyana Scholl of agriculture to the tune of $17.2M, awarded to Beharry automotive Ltd.
- Supply and delivery and testing of new SUV for Hydromet to the tune of $6.9M, awarded to Massy Motors (Guyana) Ltd.
- Supply and delivery of lab equipment and accessories for NAREI to the tune of $9.8M, awarded to MS Trading.
- Execution of Topographic Surveys along Taymouth Manor to Anna Regina, Ogle to Kitty and Enmore to Annadale to the tune of $8.7M, awarded to Baileys and Associates.
- Installation of geotextile tube along the foreshore at Non Pariel, East Coast Demerara to the tune of $10M, awarded to S&K Construction and Consultancy Services and General Supplies.
- Supply, delivery and testing of new enclosure canter truck for Hope Coconut Industries Ltd. to the tune of $9.6M, awarded to Ideal Auto Inc.
- Supply, delivery and testing of Tractor and Implements for Hope Coconut Industries Ltd. to the tune of $10.4M, awarded to General Equipment Guyana Inc.
- The construction of a chain link fence at Plantation Hope Estate to the tune of $4.9M, awarded to R. Persid Construction.