Life imprisonment for ex-soldier who gunned down man in Laing Ave.


Former member of the Guyana Defence Force (GDF), Jermaine Jefford, also known as “Smokey”, was on Wednesday sentenced to life imprisonment, with the possibility of parole after serving 30 years, for the execution-style killing of Orin David known as “Malik”.

The murder occurred at Laing Avenue, Georgetown on August 1, 2016.

Jefford, 28, formerly of Diamond Housing Scheme, East Bank Demerara, was sentenced by trial Judge, Sandil Kissoon at the Demerara High Court. Last month, Jefford was convicted by a jury, who found him guilty of the capital offence.

He was represented by attorney-at-law, Stanley Moore, SC while the State was represented by Prosecutor Lisa Cave.

During the sentencing hearing on Wednesday, the court heard that Jefford was involved in a gang as a teenager, which resulted in him being suspended from school among other things. Additionally, while on remand, Jefford was enrolled in arts and crafts class, however, he was abusive to prison officials and was busted several times with prohibited substances, such as cannabis.

Justice Kissoon, before sentencing, noted the many cases of gun-related crimes which are committed by young offenders and the need to send a strong message.

“You executed an unarmed and helpless citizen, an unarmed and helpless man in full view of his family,” the judge said to Jefford.

Jefford’s co-accused, Howard Rambarose, known as ‘Spleen’ was freed during the trial after Justice Kissoon upheld a no-case submission by his attorney, George Thomas, on the grounds of insufficient evidence.

According to reports, 33-year-old David, a former murder accused, was confronted by a Jefford, over money, after which an argument ensued.

Jefford reportedly left the scene of the incident, but subsequently returned with four others, armed with firearms. They confronted David, after which, they shot him twice – once to his leg and another to his chest – with a shotgun. The men fled the scene in a grey motorcar, while David was rushed to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.