$500M in contracts inked for tractor, rehab. works across Guyana
Six contracts totalling close to $500 million were signed with several contractors on Friday for the supply of tractors and for a variety of rehabilitation works to be carried out over the next few months.
The contracts were signed in the boardroom of the Ministry of Agriculture in the presence of the subject minister, Zulfikar Mustapha.
Of the contracts inked, three were for the National Drainage and Irrigation Authority (NDIA); it also included the construction of a drainage channel and the reactivation of an existing sluice along the right bank of the Abary Creek in Region Five; the rehabilitation by mechanical excavation of 35 collectors’ drains; the building of adjacent embankments of these channels, as well as, the rehabilitating of other structures within the Black Bush Polder area on the Corentyne Coast.
Minister Mustapha, in brief remarks, reminded the contractors that the ministry will not be granting project extensions, urging them to ensure that the works are completed to the best of their ability. He added that the timely completion of the works will aid the ongoing flood relief efforts as the country battles the disaster.
“As I said that people are looking forward to us, to deliver the services and Government will ensure that we take steps to ensure the contractor, deliver and deliver on time.
“We will not tolerate these things. We at the Ministry of Agriculture have a service to provide, we have a program to execute and we want to ensure that we do it and do it properly,” the Minister commented.
The six contracts are as follows:
- Rehabilitation of drainage and irrigations channels at Blackbush Polder, Region Six awarded to Kascon Engineering Services at $58,880,860.
- Repairs to intake structure at Den Amstel, West Coast Demerara, Region Three awarded to Khan’s Construction and Transportation Services at $27,071,500.
- Construction of drainage channel and activation of new sluice at Abary Creek, Region Five awarded to Kallco Guyana Inc. At $55,880,620.
- Supply and delivery of tractors and trailers awarded to Massy Motors Guyana Limited at $186,700,000
- Supply of delivery of tractors and implements awarded to General Equipment Guyana Inc. At $111,443,298
- Security services for the Ministry of Agriculture awarded to Sherrif Security at $14,227,200