Meet the NSC Commissioner Philip Fernandes
On May 20, 2021, Minister of Culture, Youth and Sport, Charles Ramson Jr., approved the appointments of six members to the Board of the National Sports Commission (NSC) for the next two years.
The Commission comprises Kashif Muhammad (Chairman), Bissoondyal Singh, Cristy Campbell, Dellon Davidson, Phillip Fernandes and Cheteram Ramdial.
Singh is the current President of the Guyana Cricket Board; Campbell, President of the Tennis Association; Fernandes, President of Guyana Hockey Board; Ramdial is a Chartered Accountant; and Davidson is a Private Consultant.
On May 30, the Commission, in consultation with the Minister, appointed President of the Guyana Boxing Association, Steve Ninvalle, the new Director of Sport.
The third Commissioner in focus is Philip Fernandes, a former national hockey player, current national coach, President of the Guyana Hockey Board and an astute businessman.
Name: Philip Fernandes
Portfolio: President- Guyana Hockey Board
- Guyana Women’s National Indoor/Outdoor Hockey Coach- 2019 to present
- Guyana Women’s National Coach- Gold medalists at CAC qualifier in Jamaica 2017
- Guyana Women’s National Coach (2005-2015)
- Coach one of the top male and female club teams (1998-present)
Including Silver medal at PAHF Men’s Club Championships, Bridgetown, Barbados (2001)
- FIH Indoor High-Performance Coaching Course (2018) – Level 3 Coaching Certificate
- PAHF Final Coaching Course, Mexico (2011) – qualified as PAHF Coach
- FIH World Cup Coaching Course, India (2010)
- Caribbean Hockey Development – Level 2 Coaching Certificate
- Co-facilitator of High Performance Coaching Course in Guatemala (2014)
- Co-facilitator of Level 1 Hockey Coaching Courses in Barbados (2005), Trinidad (2006), Jamaica (2009), Venezuela (2012)
- PASO High Performance Course, Cuba (2005)
- PASO High Performance Course, Argentina (2005)
- Six Olympic Solidarity Courses, Georgetown, Guyana (1989-2004)
- Junior international hockey from age 16-21 (1987-1992)
- Gold Medal at Junior Caribbean Championships, Caracas, Venezuela (1992)
- Junior National Captain (1991-1992)
- Senior international hockey for country from age 18 (1989-2007)
- Bronze medal at Caribbean Championships, Georgetown, Guyana (1989)
- Silver medal at Alba Games, Caracas, Venezuela (2007)
- Bronze medal at Caribbean Hockey Championships, Port-of-Spain, Trinidad (2007)
- Senior National Captain (2007)
- President of Guyana Hockey Board (2001-2007, 2009-present)
- Club Captain of Georgetown Cricket Club (2004-2014)
- CEO, John Fernandes Ltd. (2013-present)
- General Manager, Bryden & Fernandes Inc. (2000-2013)
- Company Secretary, John Fernandes Ltd. (1999-2013)
- Systems Manager, John Fernandes Ltd. (1998-2000)
FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY, Miami, Florida
Bachelor of Business Administration, Finance (1997)
Notably, Fernandes previously served on the National Sports Commission. He also represented Guyana in senior Squash, played second division football at the Georgetown Football Club and was captain of the St. Stanislaus football and basketball teams.
He was also a Committee Member of the Guyana Squash Association.